Easy, speedy, tasty – Cannelloni with spinach and mascarpone
Serves 4 (and two lunches the next day)
This Jamie Oliver inspired dinner is so easy and delicious that we have it about once a fortnight. Everything except the fresh spinach can be on hand in your store cupboards. Jamie uses tagliatelle but we prefer the more substantial stuffed pasta.
- 2 x 350g packets spinach and cheese stuffed cannelloni (most supermarkets have this).
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 1 tbsp butter.
- ½ a grated whole nutmeg (ready ground nutmeg will not be nearly as nice).
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed with a little salt.
- 2 x 260g fresh spinach (yes it’s a lot!). If it’s not baby spinach you will need to trim the leaves off the stalks. Wash spinach and chop it up fairly small. If you like, save time and buy washed baby spinach – when I use this I often don’t even chop it up.
- 1 x 250g tub mascarpone cheese.
- 125g block parmesan, freshly grated (coarsely grated is fine).
How I do it
- Have some water boiling in a largish saucepan.
- Gently heat a very large skillet or Le Creuset type casserole (you will be adding pasta to it later) and add the oil and butter to it.
- Add the crushed garlic and grated nutmeg to the oil and cook gently.
- Meanwhile put the pasta in the boiling water and follow packet instructions (it only takes a couple of minutes).
- After the garlic and nutmeg have been cooking for a few minutes add the washed, chopped spinach and stir it around. Put a lid on your skillet for a minute or two if you have one and you want to speed it up.
- When the spinach is cooked down, stir in the mascarpone and swish it around until it is melted.
- Stir in the parmesan.
- Add the pasta and a ladleful of the pasta water and mix it altogether.
- Serve immediately.
Note: I usually have some of this this heated up the next day for lunch and it’s delicious.